Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Work from home: Yes or no??

While I'm writing this, I'm working from home... :) This is one good thing about working from home. I can do other things in between... I can chat with friends, be on Facebook and I can love what I love doing.. Blogging.. :P... I wouldn't have been able to do it had I been in office, working...

But is working from home always fun and convenient or the age-old tradition of working in an office more productive? Let's analyse both the sides of the coin... Work from home or work from office.. ??

Let me first give you the plus points of working from home... and the opinions expressed are clearly of my own.. :-

  • I can choose my own work station. Example, I can work while being on my bean bag, my bed, my TV room, my balcony.. The options are unlimited... you can come up with your own creative work station.. :P
P.S: It applies only when you have a Wi-fi connection.. :P
  •  You can choose your own work timings. Well, this won't apply to people who have a deadline to meet and depends on your work profile. For me, I can work anytime I choose to but I only have to complete it before 9pm IST which isn't rocket science.
  • I can take as many breaks and anytime I want to. I can take small unlimited breaks and small naps of course, in between... :)
  • I can watch TV while working, listen to loud music and work. Yes, I can concentrate better while listening to loud music.
  •  I can save up on the commuting hours. I need at least 2 hours to get ready before my cab picks me up. So, I save up at least 3 hours bearing in mind that I get picked 1 hour before my shift starts... :) 
  • I don't have to take bath when I'm working from home because I won't be going out anywhere.... :) No no, it's not that I don't like taking bath or I like being unhygienic but I can take bath after completing my work and if I chose to go out with friends for a coffee... Then I freshen up ... :P 
  • I can go out with friends for sometime if I get too bored working.. :P 
So, as of now this is all I can think of about the benefits of working from home. Now let's talk about the not-so-good things about working from home:
  • You tend to get lazy and might end up not working at all or not being able to complete your work.
  •  If most of your best friends are in office, you will miss on going out for breaks with them.
  •  Your principle of "you should not bring work home"  will be lost. If you are married, your spouse would not appreciate if you work from home.. :P
I would like to conclude here saying that you should work from home only once in a while. Otherwise, you will end up being lazy....Too much of convenience at your side can be harmful... :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment